Subject: Root filesystem time checks
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2004 00:04:09
I know I'm strange - I sometimes turn off some of my computers, and there
are even weekends where I stay away from them.

When I turn them on again, I sometimes get freaking warnings:

  WARNING: clock gained 3 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!

Well, ntpd will handle that for me, and since the weekend lasted 3 days there
is not much I worry about.

So I checked why not all of my computers do this: apparently i386 and amd64
only warn at more than 5 years differences, while most other ports seem to
have copied the "2 days off" code.

Can we remove this stupid message? At least for the "gained" case and maybe
if the clock gained less than 1 year - or whatever. And can we handle it
consistently across ports please?

Martin