Subject: NetBSD current out of memory using tape drive
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Wurstbauer <sw@wbstech.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/06/2004 13:43:17
Hi,

here's a new view on my latest tape drive problem.
It I use the amanda tool amtapetype -f /dev/nst0 on my system, after a
while I can't start any new processes. I got some errors like "cannot
fork" "out of memory" or I totally hangs.

Increasing the limits of datasize, stacksize or openfiles solves the
problem just for a few minutes.

Has anyone an idea?

Greetings
   Stefan

PS: My machine: NetBSD 1.6.2 with current kernel 1.6zk,
Dell PowerEdge 4600, 2x 2k Xeon, 4G Ram, and the tape drive is
attached to a Qlogic scsi controller.

-----------

Hi,

I use a DLT8000 tape drive in an ADIC tape library connected to QLogic
controller. It's the only device on the bus.
When I start a dump to a tape with dd or tar the tape drive starts to
write a few bytes, stops, rewinds a little and writes a few bytes
again. So the performance is very bad.
If I give the program a break, it sleeps for a long time, an the tape
still writes data. A "ps" shows the tar process in state: ffsfsy

If I use amanda to do the backup, the system load increases up to 10.
It's no fun to work on this machine a backup is running.

The OS is a NetBSD 1.6.2 installation with NetBSD 1.6ZK kernel. The
machine is a Dell PowerEdge 4600 with 2x 2k Xeon, 4G ram.

What can I do ???

Greetings,
   Stefan