Subject: Re: ufs-ism in lookup(9)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/2004 15:06:12
--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:41:07AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:01:25AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > > That is all that needs to be passed in, true. To me the question is h=
ow=20
> > > much work are we trading? We'd save the VOP_LOOKUP() (which could be =
a big=20
> > > deal), but we then have more complexity in each file system so they c=
an do=20
> > > the mount-point test themselves.
> >=20
> > what i meant is, filesystem independent code can do the test
> > before calling VOP_REMOVE.
>=20
> How? We need the vnode itself (if there is one) to see if it's mounted on.

Let me rephrase that, as I now see I might have been unclear. I thought a
big part of wanting VOP_REMOVE() to only take the directory and the name
component (not the vnode itself) was to save actually looking it up in
namei(9) - VOP_LOOKUP() would no longer have DELETE lookups. If we don't
have that vnode in the fs-indep code, though, how do we tell if there is a
file system mounted on it?

Take care,

Bill

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw