Subject: Re: uvm_map_findspace alignment fallback
To: Andrey Petrov <petrov@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/2004 10:39:29
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:06:38AM -0800, Andrey Petrov wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:01:24AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>>
>> it might not be 1, if you have PMAP_PREFER.
>
>Yeah, right. Somehow I overlooked that.
>I thought of PMAP_PREFER as a way to color physical/virtual mapping
>to avoid virtual address aliasing in VIPT caches, I don't know
>why and what it does in ubc_init, especially in a role of alignment
>requirement for uvm_map.

PMAP_PREFER() *is* a way of doing that, but in the general sense, it
merely attempts to align mappings preferentially wrt cache aliasing
(or something...i won't pretend to know the correct term), but since
here it's called with 0 as the offset into the object being mapped,
what you'll get back is an address adjusted to make the best use of
the it.

or something like that.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|