Subject: Re: Nuking mbuf macros
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2004 01:16:50
>> The attached patch turns mbuf macros into wrappers to real
>> functions.  With the patch applied GENERIC/i386 kernel is 37KB
>> smaller.

>> From commit log of the same change made in DragonFly BSD:
(non-break-spaces converted to regular spaces and rewrapped -dM]
>>  Nuke huge mbuf macros stage 1/2: Remove massive inline mbuf macros
>>  to reduce L1/L2 cache pollution.  Est. performance improvement of
>>  4-6% and the kernel is 42KB smaller.
> did DragonFly folks measure function call overhead due to the change?
> (overall performance improvement of 4-6% it sounds good, but just to
> make sure)

Note the 4-6% figure is _estimated_.  If it were me deciding whether
this went in (which of course it isn't), I'd want to see measured
numbers for the performance difference.

Also, it occurs to me that this is likely to be a performance _lose_ on
some machines - but, on the third hand, a win for cases (like
installation kernels) where space is mroe important than speed.  Maybe
it should be a config-time option?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign