Subject: Some bugs that can freeze a system
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2004 23:51:50
Hi all,

some time ago I filed some PRs about things that can completely freeze
the system from user space.  I find these serious, and maybe are security
problems.  Furthermore, solving them doesn't seem difficult to somebody
knowing the code...

kern/22788
    [open sw-bug] esound completely freezes system

    - Anybody can freeze a system, and remotely.  They just need to
      build and install esound and play a file through it, or even write
      a simple test case that triggers the problem, a thing I haven't
      been able to do yet :(

kern/24719
    [open sw-bug] bktr(4) can freeze a machine

    - I guess this will only bring problems locally, as a local X server
      is needed.

Could anybody look at these please?  Maybe before 2.0? ;-)

Thanks!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>