Subject: Re: spl checks in simple_lock [was Re: v_interlock/splbio protocol violations]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Aymeric Vincent <vincent@labri.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2004 09:39:19
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 03:53:33PM +0100, Aymeric Vincent wrote:
>>
>> The other reason is because it looks bad to me to force a user of the
>> locking or (worse) pool API to know about SPLs.
>
> Unfortunately for pools and locks that are used in interrupt context,
> the
> user _does_ need to know about SPL levels. Otherwise bad things happen
> in
> SMP systems.

Yes, definitely. But, only for those ones. That's why I suggested two
different init functions, so that callers which need not be aware of
anything spl-related are not required to.

But the point of Darrin that his goal is to force people to think about
spl-problems whenever they use pools is fine, too.

So I won't argue much on the subject.

Regards,
  Aymeric