Subject: Re: dirty filesystem after shutdown/reboot
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040310T040937@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2004 04:17:55
hubert@feyrer.de (Hubert Feyrer) writes:
> Whenever I shutdown or reboot my -current/i386 machine, the filesystem is
> dirty and I have to fsck several hundred GB - not fun. Is anyone else
> experiencing this? I've seen this for several weeks in -current now,
> trying different kernels.

I'm seeing it too.  Now perhaps it is my imagination, but hangs seem
to happen much more frequently when I build a new kernel, install it
and reboot.  (It is almost like something is using the new kernel's
symbol table to root around in kmem, but what would be doing that?)

The 20-minute long fsck after a botched reboot was irritating enough a
few years ago that I just put a long list of umounts in my
/etc/rc.shutdown.local.  One can't unmount any partition that contains
daemons from that file (since it gets run before the kills are
issued), but in my case nothing runs from the biggest partitions.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/