Subject: pckbc abstraction: final call
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/2004 12:45:44
I think I've now completed my work on the kernel side of abstracting the
interface provided by pckbc(4), and I'd like to commit it.  I've put a
tarball of the new files, plus the patch to existing ones at
<ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/bjh21/pckbport-20040305.tar.gz>.
People should look at it.  I've tested it on i386 (under VMWare) and (with
a driver for the IOMD keyboard interface) on acorn32, but more testing
would probably be good.  The actual behaviour of the drivers shouldn't
have changed at all.

There are a couple of things in particular that I'd like to solicit
opinions on:

The name "pckbport".  I've kept the particular device used on PCs called
"pckbc", and added "pckbport" as the abstract interface that it
implements.  This causes a lot of changes in the kernel, but means that
users' kernel configuration files remain the same, which seems sensible to
me.  Anyone care to disagree, or to propose a better name?

<dev/pckbc/pckbdreg.h> is exported to userland and used by Xhpc.  I can
either move this to <dev/pckbport/pckbdreg.h>, update Xhpc, and hope
nothing else is using it, or leave it where it is, even though that will
no longer match the directory layout in the kernel.  Any thoughts?

Unless someone comes up with a good reason why I shouldn't, I'll commit
the whole lot in a week or so.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>