Subject: Re: use of variadic macros?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/2004 03:12:10
In article <20040303024303.GB17009@che.ojctech.com>,
David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:57:55PM -0600, David Young wrote:
>> Are all the ports using the new gcc? If I may, I would like to use C99's
>> variadic macros to implement two-argument KASSERT. For example,
>
>Come to think of it, implementing KASSERT w/ variadic arguments is not
>compatible w/ FreeBSD, so I don't think that I will do that. The
>general question still remains: are variadic macros permissible in
>the kernel?

Lets change the question lineup:

1. What do varyadic macros buy you in most cases except better appearance
   (I.e. they eliminate the need for the double parenthesis)?
2. Is this extension sanctioned by ansi, or will it be in the future?
3. Do we want to make it easier or more difficult to compile kernels with
   a non-gcc compiler?

christos