Subject: Re: FW: Boundry argument in pci_mem_alloc
To: Nitin P Mahajan <Nitin@soc-soft.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2004 10:04:04
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:29:06PM +0530, Nitin P Mahajan wrote:
> 	Could nay one please explain me the mening of the boundry
> argument in the pci_mem_alloc function.
> 	I am sorry the function is bus_dmamem_alloc().

The boundary argument is similar to the alignment argument.  The
alignment argument tells the function that the starting address
for each segment must be a multiple of 'alignment' and the boundary
argument tells the function that no segment may cross any address
that is a multiple of 'boundary'.

The man page neglects to mention the common case where 'boundary'
is 0, which means that there is no boundary that needs to be observed.
That is mentioned in the discussion of bus_dmamap_create(), but I
don't see it in the discussion of bus_dmamem_alloc().

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/