Subject: drive detection failure
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: George Peter Staplin <GeorgePS@XMission.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2004 16:00:19
I installed a new Samsung 80 GB drive, and I have found problems with
NetBSD and the drive.  It worked well when I tested a small partition in
Windows XP and copied/read files from it.

NetBSD i386 -current doesn't even find the drive.  See:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/bugs/netbsd_current_no_drives.dmesg

When booting from the NetBSD 1.6.1 install CD it doesn't find the drive.
See:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/bugs/netbsd_1.6.1_install_no_drives.dmesg

NetBSD 1.6.1 sometimes finds the drive.  When I booted this morning NetBSD
didn't find it, but after booting from the OpenBSD 3.2 install CD it found
it (with errors).  See:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/bugs/netbsd_1.6.1_after_booting_openbsd_finds_disk.dmesg

Here is how OpenBSD's install kernel sees the drive:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/bugs/openbsd_3.2_finds_disk.dmesg

NetBSD 1.6.1 only seems to sometimes find the drive.  I haven't been able
to figure out the exact pattern for why it finds it only sometimes.
NetBSD -current never finds the wd1 drive.  The OpenBSD 3.2 kernel always
finds the drive.  In Windows XP I checked the event log, and there were no
hard drive errors listed, and it works well.

I'm running a stock Dell system that has only had the CD-ROM drive
changed, and this Samsung disk added.

Please let me know if there is further information I should gather to help
fix this.

I noticed that the start of the dmesg is sometimes full of garbage.  Is
that normal?

George
--
Bringing you quality nerdy products since 1981.
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/