Subject: Re: problem with bus_space_map
To: Anand Lalgondar <solarflares@fastmail.fm>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/13/2004 10:26:35
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:19:19AM +0530, Anand Lalgondar wrote:
> Thats true and I compeletely agree. But, when you want to write a driver
> to an on-chip or on-board pheripheral device the first thing would be to
> test the basic functionality of the device without bothering about the
> bus_space tag/handle. Finally when the basic flow is ready then you have
> to use bus_space tag/handle to make a machine independent interface

Once you are used to using bus_space and bus_dma, it is actually easier
and more clear to start with using those routines.  If you are not used
to using them, then it may be easier to use a paradigm that is more
familiar.  I have found, though, that there is often pressure to move
on to new things rather than allowing one to go back and "clean up"
code that is working.  So you may not have the opportunity to go back.

Ultimately, if you're writing the code for yourself, your own needs
will dictate the path you follow.  If the code is to be integrated
into NetBSD, then we'll want to see the bus_space implementation--
however you get to it.  :-)

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/