Subject: Re: wscons keymaps (in-kernel and/or outside of it?)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/2004 19:37:24
On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 07:07:58PM +0100, Hernani Marques Madeira wrote:
> > It is not that easy:
> >
> > Maps are recursive. For example to get the Map "de.nodead" the map "us" is
> > loaded. Then the Map "de" is merged. Then the Map "de.nodead" is merged.
>
> Yes. And if we would load only full maps? This requires that we make all
> maps independent -- providing all used keycodes for every keymap.

Independent Maps will consume much more space. Again from wskbdmap_mfii.c:

bytes map
  514 pckbd_keydesc_us
  158 pckbd_keydesc_de
   20 pckbd_keydesc_de_nodead
  140 pckbd_keydesc_dk
   16 pckbd_keydesc_dk_nodead
   44 pckbd_keydesc_sv
   16 pckbd_keydesc_sv_nodead
   36 pckbd_keydesc_no
   16 pckbd_keydesc_no_nodead
  182 pckbd_keydesc_fr
  148 pckbd_keydesc_it
  154 pckbd_keydesc_uk
  104 pckbd_keydesc_jp
  166 pckbd_keydesc_es
  134 pckbd_keydesc_us_declk
  150 pckbd_keydesc_us_dvorak
   10 pckbd_keydesc_swapctrlcaps
   70 pckbd_keydesc_iopener

Even the bigger Maps use less than 1/3 of a full map. And I'm not sure if
all Maps are optimal encoded.

--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken@eis.cs.tu-bs.de - TU Braunschweig (Germany)