Subject: Re: A potential step towards modularisation
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/2004 14:36:00
--f+W+jCU1fRNres8c

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:49:07PM -0500, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> On 2004-02-09 pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz wrote:
>=20
> (d) separate probe functions that are either compiled in, permanantly
> loaded, or loaded when new hardware is dected and then unloaded
>=20
> (e) require a trivial amount of user input when new hardware is added and
> have the user specify what module is needed.  The documentation should
> narrow down the potential drivers to a small number of possibilities for
> new hardware, which the user can then try until the correct one is found.
> Drivers can be aliased to a name, so you should only need to type, say,
> "hwact ne_pcmcia" to load the module once you know what it is.
>=20
>   IMO, the ideal of NetBSD kernel configuration should be custom static
> kernels, perhaps with a few dynamic modules for infrequently used
> hardware.  With this assumption, I think (e) makes the most sense.  I
> think the primary emphasis of a modular system should be in compiling
> static kernels more easily (and encouraging well defined interfaces).

Well, there we disagree. I like the idea of a mostly-dynamic kernel. I=20
like the fact that I can configure a kernel (with modules), and I can=20
include hardware I don't have, yet if I ever change or add hardware, the=20
driver's there. I also like the fact I don't have to configure a kernel=20
for each specific machine. I also recently just changed motherboards, and=
=20
if I'd had a custom, trimmed kernel I'd have had to recompile.

I also like the idea that static kernels will still be supported, even if=
=20
I choose not to use them.

Take care,

Bill