Subject: wscons keymaps (in-kernel and/or outside of it?)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Hernani Marques Madeira <hernani@tuners.ch>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/2004 22:42:40
Hello @ all!

Posting two keymaps to regional-de some days ago I got in touch with the
question of how new keymaps schould be handled.

Should they be included into the appropriate *.c files and/or made
available as separate keymap files that can be loaded using wsconsctl?

I had discussions with Juergen Hannken-Illjes and Hubert Feyrer;
they thought it would be better to bring up things to tech-kern@.

As Juergen said there are three variants:

1) All maps get out of the kernel; USASCII becames the default map.

2) No maps at all in /usr/share/wscons

3) All maps are available in the kernel and in /usr/share/wscons.
There is a config option WSKBD_NOMAPS available then that sets USASCII
as the only in-kernel map.

Juergen personally is in favour of variant 2.

Point 3 is associated with the idea of a framework that Hubert
mentionned; the keymaps could be written in such a manner that
they can be (using make or a textprocessor) integreated into
*.c files and converted into wsconsctl-friendly keymap files.
So there is only one file to be maintained.

I'm willing to do whatever we decide here with all of the keymaps;
personally I'm in favour of variant 3, because it combines 1)
and 2) and so gives us the choice.

Greets

Hernani