Subject: Re: A potential step towards modularisation
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/09/2004 14:02:19
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:47:20PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> >> The only solution is to load all the hardware drivers for the hardware
> >> you have. It wastes some memory, if you don't use this hardware, but
> >> this shouldn't do much harm. How this should be done is another
> >> question.
> >
> > Well, we'll see about this.  I don't really believe in autoconfiguration
> > unless the kernel gets feeded with the probing functions.
>
> I do not understand what you mean here. Specifically, what means "unless the
> kernel gets feeded with the probing functions".

Think "PCI IDs <-> driver" table.  That way the kernel (arguably, the bus driver)
would know what to load.  Otherwise there is no real way other than something
that would look like Linux's modules.conf.

BTW, we already have a kind-of-modules.conf aliasing deep inside config(8):
audio(4) attaches at audiobus, and audio device drivers provide the
audiobus attribute, which makes it possible to attach an audio device to a
hardware device.  It might be interesting to see how this can be extended to
the auto-loading of drivers, but as I said, I'm no big fan of this.

Quentin Garnier.