Subject: Re: atppc(4) is misnamed
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/2004 16:19:47
 --- Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote: >
> On Feb 6, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Gary Thorpe wrote:
>
> > Renaming it pcppc (besides having a lot of p's and c's) is
> inaccurate:
> > what about alpha, sparc, ppc and etc. which have "AT-style" (even
> heard
> > of "PC-style") parallel ports? These ports are not found
> exclusively in
> > "PC's" anymore. Also, are IBM PC's the only real PC's? PC =
> personal
> > computer, not x86-based architecture originating from IBM. Macs are
> > PC's.
> > It may also cause confusion with pcppi and other pc* devices...or
> is
> > this suggestion to get a deceptive sense of naming conformity?
>
> I don't quite understand what you're getting at.... alpha, mips,
> powerpc, etc. systems already use "pckbc" and "pcppi".  What's wrong
> with "pcppc"?
>
> The fact is, they *ARE* "PC-style" devices, and these other non-PC
> platforms specifically chose the PC-class hardware because it's cheap
>
> and available.
>
>          -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

And in the spirit of true pedantism, I should point out that pckbc
supports PS/2 mice (pms device). From the man page:
"The pckbc driver handles resource allocation and device attachment for
 the traditional PC/AT keyboard controller." [so there is some
reference to AT].

But the PS/2 mouse appeared in...the IBM PS/2, not the IBM PC.
Therefore, pms should be at least pcpms or preferrably ps2pms (or maybe
ibmpms would sound more informative).

The manual page for pckbd also indicates support for a PC/AT keyboard,
so maybe it should be pc_atkbd? What about PS/2 keyboards: shouldn't
they be ps2kbd? Can you tell the difference in a device probe anyway?

Doesn't all of this sound enitrely useless and unhelpful? Does it make
things magically clearer for PC/AT hardware? That's my point. I would
agree that the rename may make sense in terms of what everything else
is named pc*. [Why isn't com called pccom, atcom, or ps2com or why
bother with com at all since that is MS-DOS's serial port? Hope this
underscores my point some more.]