Subject: Re: atppc(4) is misnamed
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/2004 12:52:33
--Apple-Mail-6--990694637

On Feb 6, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Gary Thorpe wrote:

> Renaming it pcppc (besides having a lot of p's and c's) is inaccurate:
> what about alpha, sparc, ppc and etc. which have "AT-style" (even heard
> of "PC-style") parallel ports? These ports are not found exclusively in
> "PC's" anymore. Also, are IBM PC's the only real PC's? PC = personal
> computer, not x86-based architecture originating from IBM. Macs are
> PC's.
> It may also cause confusion with pcppi and other pc* devices...or is
> this suggestion to get a deceptive sense of naming conformity?

I don't quite understand what you're getting at.... alpha, mips,
powerpc, etc. systems already use "pckbc" and "pcppi".  What's wrong
with "pcppc"?

The fact is, they *ARE* "PC-style" devices, and these other non-PC
platforms specifically chose the PC-class hardware because it's cheap
and available.

--Apple-Mail-6--990694637
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit