Subject: Re: atppc(4) is misnamed
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/2004 19:32:49
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Gary Thorpe wrote:

>  --- Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org> wrote:
> > This is a trivial issue, but it'll irritate me forever if I don't It's
> > not so much the inaccuracy that bothers me as the fact that someone
> > was clearly trying to be clever in naming the device and _got it
> > wrong_.
>
> What bother me is that the person who "tried to be clever" asked this
> list what an appropriate name would be and got back 'atppc'.

When I wrote "clearly", I should really have written "apparently".  The
actual mechanism by which the name was reached isn't really relevant; it's
the _impression_ that the name gives (and largely the impression it gives
to me) that I care about.

> I think pcppc was suggested but the overall response was that atppc was
> better for whatever reason.

Google can't find any reference to "pcppc" in a relevant context, but this
probably means nothing.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>