Subject: Re: atppc(4) is misnamed
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/2004 12:44:24
Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org> writes:: The atppc(4) driver is misnamed, since the
interface it drives was: introduced for the IBM PC, not the PC/AT.  I think it should be
renamed to: pcppc(4) now, before too many people get it stuck in their kernel:
configuration files.
M. Warner Losh says;
> There's also a parallel port controller in the NEC PC-9801 and PC-9821> series of
computers.  Would you call that pc98ppc or necppc?
If it would make sense in practical reason. I've been a computer programmer whenthe
original PC9801 was brought into business market.  It thrived wildly once agoand there are
plenty of model variations almost beyond recognition.  There werehandful (literally)
publications named 'PC98 encyclopedia' things simply becauseserious programmers needed to
dig out incompatibilities to affect their programs.That's simply because the entire PC98
product line was a collection ofless-coordinated multiple designs made by independent
works (works in Japaneseelectronics giants behaves like as sibling companies) It is the
re-implementationof PC-compatibles with NEC own parts, in most cases with enhancements and
fixturesfound in ugly PC designs.  By definition it's looks-like, works-like but
incompatiblewith PC.  I guess the company has spent enormous amount of engineering
resource tomake them useful for MS-DOS/Windows market for decades.  But the days were
over.
> But having said that, I'm easy either way.
I'm OK to change atppc with pcppc.
Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology