Subject: atppc(4) is misnamed
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/05/2004 11:28:09
This is a trivial issue, but it'll irritate me forever if I don't raise it
now.  The atppc(4) driver is misnamed, since the interface it drives was
introduced for the IBM PC, not the PC/AT.  I think it should be renamed to
pcppc(4) now, before too many people get it stuck in their kernel
configuration files.  It's not so much the inaccuracy that bothers me as
the fact that someone was clearly trying to be clever in naming the device
and _got it wrong_.

FreeBSD calls this device "ppc", and OpenBSD doesn't seem to have ppbus at
all, so I don't think there's any compatibility issue here.

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>