Subject: Re: Abstracting pckbc(4)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/02/2004 09:54:57
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004, Ben Harris wrote:
> >You didn't mention support for hot pluggable keyboards and mice.
>
> Does it work at the moment with pckbc?

Not properly.  At least in NetBSD/i386, there's some sort of magic
fakery for the keyboard, such that even if the keyboard is not plugged
in at boot time, the "pckbd at pckbc" device node gets attached anyway.
If you plug in in a real keyboard later then it has a fair chance of
working.  But if the mouse is not plugged in at boot time then plugging
it in later does not cause "pms at pckbc" to be attached.

> If not, I don't plan to add support for it,

OK.  But please try to design the abstraction layer in a way that allows
hot plugging to be added later.  I don't know what's required to do
that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)