Subject: Re: SmartMedia Supported on PCMCIA
To: Rishabh Kumar Goel <Rishabh@soc-soft.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/2004 13:28:47
On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:42:36AM +0530, Rishabh Kumar Goel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came to know through these mailing lists that Smartmedia is supported
> on NetBSD. I m working on Nand Flash memory.
>
> Smartmedia requires a flash translation layer (FTL) for address
> translation, and bad block management. How in NetBSD do we do it?

That's not really correct.  Smartmedia cards in adapters that provide
a pcmcia "wdc" or a native IDE ("wd") interface already have the
necessary software built in.  Obviously, they could not correctly emulate
a standard disk otherwise.

There is no support for raw flash devices (that don't emulate a disk of
some kind) in NetBSD.  A number of companies have implemented that support,
but due largely to the widespread availability of flash devices that
emulate disk drives or disk controllers (CompactFlash, SmartMedia, etc.)
nobody has contributed it to the public source tree.  If you're interested
in buying code that does this, I think Wasabi can sell it to you.

Incidentally, tech-kern is really a more appropriate place for this
sort of question than netbsd-users, so I've moved the discussion there.