Subject: Re: kern/23470 -- UUID support from FreeBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@sarna.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/2004 11:21:25
In article <20040123165218.0449EBE998@kopernik.sarna.org> I wrote:
> 1) adding uuidgen(2)/uuidgen(1) a'la FreeBSD
> 2) specifically, using the freebsd-derived code in kern/23470, perhaps
> with improvements?

Update:

I have the kernel part (and minimal userland support -- syscall in libc,
manpage for syscall, setlist updates for those) ready to go. I plan to
commit later today. There are some questions about the rest of the
userland parts in the PR which I'll raise on tech-userlevel later.

I used the ported code from kern/23470 with some changes: a bugfix from
freebsd since the code was ported, replacing bcopy with memcpy, and I
#ifdef notyet'd out the printf and stream functions.  These are intended
for use by other parts of the kernel, but as there are none such yet
that need them, I didn't see a point in compiling them in yet.  This
also removes the need for the packbytes header.  Also, I enabled the
syscall for COMPAT_FREEBSD as well, though I was unable to test it with
a freebsd uuidgen(1) binary, because freebsd new enough to have that
syscall also uses a new sigaction syscall which we don't emulate.