Subject: Re: ACPI todo list
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2004 05:21:53
--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:11:16AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> So I finaly retired my very old notebook (hey, it had a 1024x768 display,=
 and
> the cpu was good enough for NetBSD) - and got a brand new one.
>=20
> The old one did not support ACPI at all (yes, *that* old), so I never rea=
ly
> followed ACPI related discussions here.
>=20
> Now to the point: I will have some (a lot?) free NetBSD hacking time,
> unfortunately combined with no direct access to sparc64 hardware, so I wo=
n't
> work much on my usual TODO list.

I've got an Ultra 5 running -current here that I could give you access to,
if it'd help. I have tons of free time, so if you're willing, I could try to
work on some of your sparc64 TODO list. I'm new at NetBSD kernel hacking,
and have been needing a good reason to get into it for a while. Maybe this
could give me a good start.

> Is there any vision of the direction NetBSD needs to grow ACPI support?
> Like ...
>=20
>   - have powerd(8) shutdown the system when running out of battery
>   - have a kernel thread controlling fan rotations and a userland=20
>     utility to set temperature parameters and corelate sensors with fans
>   - manually or automatically (interface that go up/down?) power on/off
>     devices, i.e. an unused wavelan card
>=20
> Did anyone make a grand plan yet?

I don't use ACPI even though my motherboard supports APM or ACPI; But if I
were to give one opinion on ACPI: it needs to be made a lot less spammy.
Every ACPI-enabled dmesg I've ever seen posted has almost as many
'PNP<whatever> not configured' messages as it does normal boot messages.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!