Subject: Re: packet capturing
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/23/2004 23:23:29
--qM81t570OJUP5TU/

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:05:32AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Regarding 4-port 10/100 boards, D-Link may still have the DFE-570TX=20
> available.  Adaptec also had a 4-port 10/100 board, but I don't know=20
> about its availability.

The DFE-570 was discontinued quite some time ago. It was replaced with
the DFE-580, which is four ste(4)'s instead of four tlp(4)'s; they
were never particularly good, and I think they may have been
discontinued too. At least Dlink changed the model number, unlike some
other cases where they changed chips mid-stream.

I haven't seen the adaptec quad sf(4) for a long time either, though
they were decent cards. A customer who had some was looking for more a
while ago, without much luck iirc.

> Really, I'd be shocked if vendors were wasting their time building new=20
> multi-port 10/100 boards.

There are some still being made, though I'm not sure I'd really call
them new - just more of the same of an existing well-proven design.

There's still a market for them in building firewalls where you want
multiple physical interfaces. The original higher-volume usage of such
cards, with port-channelling from servers for greater bandwidth, has
moved on to gig-E. What's left is low volume and niche market, so
sadly they're not cheap.

For the record in case someone's looking for some, these are what we
use, they're quad tlp(4):

 http://www.aei-it.com/hardware/fastenet/p430tx.htm

--
Dan.