Subject: Re: packet capturing
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@mail.netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2004 11:22:11
In message <Pine.NEB.4.58.0401220522380.26031@mail.netbsd.org>,
Darren Reed writes:
>On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
>>    At that point one should start to ask, seriously, just what
>>    Luca Deri's paper is telling us.
>
>Just one thing, really:
>
>Passive packet capture in stock linux systems is crap :-)
>(And I defy you to convince me that this is not the case :)

Why would I even try? :-/.

But the original objection I had was to smb's comment about ``stock
systems'' (note: unqualified in the original) being bad at packet
capture on a NetBSD mailing list. As opposed to ``stock Linux
systems'' bing bad at passive packet capture.

And even that is marginally on-topic for a NetBSD technical list.

>> 6. As I said earlier: driver polling __is not necessary__.
>>    Modern NICs in the US $20 range provide good Rx interrupt deferal,
>>    to the point where polling simply doesn't buy anything significant.
>>    Really. I tell you three times.
>
>The paper aside, are 100BT nics coming out with interrupt deferal or
>is it only 1000BT ones ?  What about 4 port 1000BT cards (can you get
>them, even) ?

Intel pro/1000 quad-port is available retail.  I know of at least two
embedded resellers/board vendors selling boards with PCI(-X) bridges,
and two dual-port Broadcom chips.