Subject: Re: packet capturing
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@mail.netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2004 05:25:14
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>    At that point one should start to ask, seriously, just what
>    Luca Deri's paper is telling us.

Just one thing, really:

Passive packet capture in stock linux systems is crap :-)
(And I defy you to convince me that this is not the case :)

> 6. As I said earlier: driver polling __is not necessary__.
>    Modern NICs in the US $20 range provide good Rx interrupt deferal,
>    to the point where polling simply doesn't buy anything significant.
>    Really. I tell you three times.

The paper aside, are 100BT nics coming out with interrupt deferal or
is it only 1000BT ones ?  What about 4 port 1000BT cards (can you get
them, even) ?

Darren