Subject: Re: Make VOP_STRATEGY a real VOP
To: Juergen Hannken-Illjes <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/2004 16:31:05

On Jan 19, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:

First of all, apologies for delaying in responding to this.  I'm pretty
sure you're doing this based on feed-back I gave to your fss(4) driver,
and so it's only fair to expect me to respond quickly to this sort of

> VOP_STRATEGY is no real VOP because it is missing a vnode as a first
> argument. I propose to convert  VOP_STRATEGY(bp)  to two functions
> VOP_STRATEGY(vp, bp)  and  DEV_STRATEGY(bp)  as follows:
>  VOP_STRATEGY(vp, bp) will run the strategy routine for the  vp  arg
>  and the conversion is like  VOP_STRATEGY(bp) ->
> VOP_STRATEGY(bp->b_vp, bp).
>  DEV_STRATEGY(bp) is used for block-to-block device situations and
> calls
>  the d_strategy() routine from device bp->b_dev.

I think this is terrific.  Thanks very much for doing this.  I support
this change 100%.

BTW, it warrants a kernel version bump.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit