Subject: Re: packet capturing
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Jonathan Stone <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/2004 15:16:10
In message <>
Jason Thorpe:

>Actually, a "once" construct would do the trick nicely.

Are we seriously suggesting C constructs for the kernel?  Does GCC 3
already have this, or do you have reason to think the GCC maintainers
buy it back?

>> I happen to think Perry's right: we could do with an initialization
>> framework.
>But then you must always be concerned about ordering issues.  If you
>always do it lazily, you don't ever need to concern yourself with
>ordering, because, if something is asking for it, then it's fairly safe
>to assume that you have the information required to compute it.

FreeBSD has what, five levels of priority for initalization?  I've
always assumed order within a level is ill-defined, but there's at
least an existence proof that the ordering problem is solvable.