Subject: Re: packet capturing
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/2004 13:24:57
In message <873ca9uial.fsf@snark.piermont.com>,
"Perry E. Metzger" writes:

>We should have the sysctl. On a separate note, we should have the
>default set based on system memory, and if we don't have an easy
>mechanism for sizing such thing now, we really could use one for all
>sorts of things.

Agreed.  FreeBSD 4.x has some features here; I've used them enough to
think there's something there we could learn from.

(In fact, the biggest criticism I have of Andrew's dynamic-sysctl work
is that the variadic API makes it much less amenable to that sort of
initialization, in future, than FreeBSD's dynamic sysctl machinery.)

I haven't looked, but I presume the FreeBSd linker-set implementation
relies on having an in-kernel ELF loader. (cc'ed to Warner Losh in the
hope of better-informed comments on that...)