Subject: Support and capabilties of Ieee1394/Firewire in NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2004 06:15:26
I'm looking into some applications for interfacing with digital cameras
via
the ieee1394 bus. While there is a proposed standard for interfaces, my
set of vendors, Nikon and Fuji (uses a Nikon frame) currently do not.

My question is, what ieee1394 interfaces are supported in NetBSD,
and if there is a 'promiscious' mode which would allow me to see
the transactions between a camera and the 'official' platform of choice
for the manufacturer's standard application, usually Windows,
and occasionally Mac OS/OSX. (For example Nikon supports Mac
for Firewire for the D1 class of cameras, but Fuji does not for the S2,
even though Fuji uses a Nikon frame...)

The main things I'm looking for is control of the camera's settings,
and the acquisition of images by computer control. The usual style of
mass storage access to recorded images is not what I'm looking for,
but the realtime control.

Thanks
John Clark