Subject: Re: switch to two-argument KASSERT?
To: Matt Thomas <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/2004 11:03:04
Matt Thomas wrote:
> > Specifically, I'd like to still see the asserted condition embedded in
> > the message. It saves having to dive into the source to find the
> > message string, rather than dive in looking for the assertion test as
> > now, just to get a basic interpretation. It also helps the message
> > text be simpler and more useful it supplements rather than
> > "translates" the test - otherwise you can wind up with two
> > obviously-equivalent forms of the same obscure condition.
> I disagree.  I often want to format the string quite different than
> the condition string to more informative.

I like two-argument KASSERT(), but I'd like to have the asserted
condition displayed, too. While some extra informative text doesn't
hurt, the important part is the failed condition, not the message.

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-