Subject: Re: dev/audiobell.c proposal
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/13/2004 09:34:10
--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

Hi,

if I may throw a suggestion in:

What about a simple priority scheme, that plays alert samples (the
console bell) _instead_ of the /dev/audio data? This idea is taken
from AmigaOS, of course, where it has been present since the 1980s
with a priority value specified by each user of a channel of audio
device. The top 4 software channels at any one time were connected
to the hardware channels (modulo l/r restriction masks specified).

It seems to me that a simple prioritized bell device on each audio
device attachable to wscons, and with a loadable sample for kicks,
would be enough and easy to implement.

I don't think we need mixing for the bell.

Regards,
	-is

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--