Subject: Re: kdump dependency on kernel, ktrace id portability
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Ian Fry <Ian.Fry@sophos.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/08/2004 17:01:49
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:56:44PM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com> wrote:
> > Do I understand correctly that you want the ktrace facility to write
> > the table of syscall names to the ktrace.out file? How big is that
> > table? I'm more concerned with the space it occupies in the kernel
> > than the space it occupies in the ktrace.out file.
> For native syscalls, it's about 6kB. If we fold the syscall name table
> in ktrace.out, we can get rid of the copy in kdump, I'd say this is
> about 100kB in the kdump binary (currently it contains the syscalls
> names tables for all emulations).

How about turning the syscall tables etc into data files which are loaded
by kdump as it needs them? Then, the data files can be regenerated without
having to rebuild kdump. It might even be possible to share the syscall
data files with systrace and anything else that knows about the syscall
tables.

Ian.