Subject: Re: Enabling opencrypto on all PCI-capable platforms
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/06/2004 00:44:25
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:40:32 +0000
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't believe the UltraSPARC II and IIi modules are 64bit capabable.
> I've never seen anyone try to run 64bit Solaris on either of them.....
It _is_ 64 bit when it reads "UltraSPARC". I have a Ultra 5 with 300 MHz
US IIi and belive me, it runs a 64 bit NetBSD kernel. Maybe you are
confused by the fact that Solaris instales 32 bit kernels by default on
some UltraSPARC systems. AFAIK all US I systems. The US I CPU has a bug
that can be used to stall the CPU and crash the machine when a 64 bit
Kernel is running. The bug can't happen when a 32 bit kernel is runing,
so Solaris "works around" this bug by instaling a 32 bit kernel.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen