Subject: Re: Rework of ATA code to support native SATA controllers
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/2003 09:46:55
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:15:32AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Folks...
>
> Native SATA controllers present a fairly different model as compared to
> standard ATA controllers.

[... lots of stuff about how to change the NetBSD drivers to support
SATA ...]

This sounds like it might be more work than snarfing the FreeBSD ATA
drivers, which I believe already supports a full superset of what the
NetBSD drivers support (but I may be wrong, of course.)  The FreeBSD
drivers are also very well maintained - Søren has been doing an
outstanding job.

There might be things that block switching that I don't know about (or
it may be more work), of course - but it would be nice to converge
instead of diverge.

Eivind.