Subject: Re: Kernel configuration/Makefile options to support Standard
To: Anand Lalgondar <solarflares@fastmail.fm>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/2003 09:41:51
"Anand Lalgondar" <solarflares@fastmail.fm> writes:
> How can a standard library (math, time ...) be included while
> cross-compliling the kernel for evbmips evaluation board.

You don't. Userland libraries are not designed for use in the kernel.

> For example, I would like to use the ctime, mktime, and gmtime in one of
> my RTC driver to calculate the "date and time". The RTC is just a 44-bit
> counter and for every 0x8000 it is 1 sec. To get the number of seconds
> elapsed I would right-shift the 44-bit value by 15 - that would give the
> number of seconds passed. Now from this I should arrive at the "date and
> time" factors. The standard time library supports this functionality.

If you look at the inittodr/resettodr functions for a few ports,
you'll see that we already have common code to do this sort of thing
that is available. Try "man todr" to learn about some of those routines.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com