Subject: Re: Driver to device bindings
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/29/2003 10:40:05
christos@zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:
> In article <87fzf48s6m.fsf@snark.piermont.com>,
> Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>>
>>True enough, but imagine someday we'd like to load drivers at run time
>>based on the IDs. For that, we can't leave all the information in the
>>driver itself because then we'd have to load and unload every driver
>>we have...
>
> This is how autoconf works. We call every driver's probe function...

I know it is how it works right now, but imagine that we wanted to
support a kernel where many or most direct config drivers were loaded
after boot. It might be nice to have a way of noting which drivers
we'll need and loading them rather than loading everything and trying
them all one by one...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com