Subject: Re: Driver to device bindings
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/29/2003 10:51:17
On Dec 29, 10:40am, perry@piermont.com ("Perry E. Metzger") wrote:

| I know it is how it works right now, but imagine that we wanted to
| support a kernel where many or most direct config drivers were loaded
| after boot. It might be nice to have a way of noting which drivers
| we'll need and loading them rather than loading everything and trying
| them all one by one...

It is the chicken and egg problem. You'd need to store the information
about which driver maps to which id somewhere, and that somewhere needs
to be able to be dynamically updated as you add new drivers. We currently
take the approach that it is better for the driver to know which variants
of the device it supports (so that the driver can do different things
depending on the device flavor) rather than the kernel telling the driver
this is what kind of card you have.

christos