Subject: Re: Driver to device bindings
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@terabyte.com.ua>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/26/2003 18:40:43
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:23:36 +0100
Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:09:53 +0200
> "Mike M. Volokhov" <mishka@terabyte.com.ua> wrote:
> [snip]
> > So, is it possible to specify in my kernel config to bind some
> > driver to that device?
> I case of PCI: You would have to extend the list of supported IDs in
> the drivers match routine / PCI bus frontend.

That's exactly what I have done.

But what you think about implementing this functionality in
the administrator's space (rather than developer's area)?

IMHO it would be very covenient to have an ability of driver bindings.
For example for pci:

	device* at pci? dev? function? vid 0x0000 did 0x0000

or (if we want a backward compatibility)

	bind device at pci vendorid 0x0000 deviceid 0x0000
	device* at pci? dev? function?

In general, my proposition is add ability of altering foodevs files
inside kernel config.

--
Mishka.