Subject: Re: kcopy()
To: Matt Thomas <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2003 12:05:47
>>my reading of the kcopy() man page made me think that i could pass it
>>a "src" pointer and a "dst" pointer, and it would return EFAULT if
>>either of the pointers were invalid.
>>instead, i'm getting kernel panics.
>>is there a better interface for copying from place to place when you
>>don't know the exact disposition of the pointers (so i can't really
>>use memcpy())?
>Who is giving you pointers you can't trust?  That sounds like a broken

the kernel, device drivers, lkms, and some users.  i don't trust
everyone and i'd like not to have to trust anyone.

just because you trust that the pointer you give me is valid doesn't
mean i trust you to give me a valid pointer, and if i keep the pointer
for a few hours, will it still be valid?

you can't say "yes", so i'm saying "no".