Subject: Re: A new wm driver
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2003 12:59:34
Jason,

>The point is that the "em" driver duplicates functionality of existing
>code, and has other characteristics that make it undesirable from an
>architectural point of view.

Then why the hell snip out, without marking, the lines here I made
exactly that point? If we want the fragments that do hardware tuning,
we should pull them into the appropriate place for NetBSD: for
example, PHY-specific stuff should go into the sys/dev/mii code for
that PHY.

My *first* point was that the 3000-odd lines of code is not 3000 lines
of hardware-specific tuning, which you then quoted completely out of
context, where I *said* much of it is stuff we handle elsewhere, and
so useful features from if_em_hw should go elsewhere.

Did you not bother to read the rest of my message, or something?