Subject: Re: A new wm driver
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2003 12:43:43
--Apple-Mail-31-1044826845

On Dec 17, 2003, at 12:18 PM, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> That driver is built on top of a large, OS-independent Intel "library"
> ffor for the Pro/1000 hardware. The line-count for if_em_hw.c includes
> a lot of link-autonegotiaton machinery for OSes that lack (for
> example, NetBSD's MII layer. If you're going to count all the lines of
> code to drive PHYs and handle cable polarity quirks, then you should
> also count corresponding lines from the NetBSD sys/dev/mii.
> (Or just not count the PHY lines, if they're not acutally used.)

The point is that the "em" driver duplicates functionality of existing
code, and has other characteristics that make it undesirable from an
architectural point of view.

Like I said, I'm all for tuning the existing "wm" driver, but an
out-right replacement with something that would take us backwards in
many respects is simply not acceptable.

--Apple-Mail-31-1044826845
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit