Subject: Re: A new wm driver
To: Pascal Renauld <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2003 12:09:48

On Dec 17, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Pascal Renauld wrote:

> Well, it's just that we had some issues with specific hardware and
> felt that the hardware was much better supported in the em driver. The
> current NetBSD driver is 3500 lines against 11400 for the one coming
> from FreeBSD. The lower layer part of the driver (5000 lines) is
> dedicated to tuning of the different boards.

Having read the code of the "em" driver many, many times, I'm
well-aware that it is a large, bloated piece of software.

I'm simply skeptical that it's worth replacing a working driver (that
several people are happy with), rather than simply taking ideas from
the other driver and applying them in a reasonable way in the existing

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)