Subject: Re: Rework of ATA code to support native SATA controllers
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/2003 14:51:36

On Dec 16, 2003, at 2:30 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Any idea on how ATAPI over SATA will look like ? My guess is that we'll
> need an equivalent of atapi_wdc.c too, so I wonder if trying to share
> the
> atabus bits wouldn't be more trouble than it's worth.

For one controller I'm working with, you simply say "packet protocol"
and stuff the ATAPI (scsi) command in the chip-specific command header.
  For other controllers that emulate the legacy ATA registers, ATAPI
should Just Work as it does today.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)