Subject: Re: large inode numbers
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/16/2003 09:16:43
--Apple-Mail-10-946006277

On Dec 16, 2003, at 8:20 AM, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> It _seems_ the msdosfs problem could be solved by different
> fileid calculation - for example using disk block number of first block
> in a file as 'inode' number would work up to 2048GB at least (with
> 512B block size). Maybe even beyond 2048GB - IIRC FAT32 can adress
> 4G blocks maximum, so it would probably force bigger block size
> for >2048GB filesystems (if it's supported at all).

Even WinXP seems to disallow FAT file systems of > ~30G (I don't
remember the exact number, but I had to do a multiple partition dance
on an external Firewire drive that my wife wanted to use to use on both
her PC and Mac laptop to store Photoshop files...)

So, it seems as if using the block # of the first file block is a
reasonable approach for FAT.

--Apple-Mail-10-946006277
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit