Subject: Re: NIC driver interface to kernel.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2003 09:58:07
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:39:51 +0100 (MET)
<ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:

> > With a mbuf cluster there would be
> > a lot of wasted memory in the cluster for small packets.
> If you see that as a problem, you could always copy the data from the=20
> cluster where you just got the packet and into a single mbuf. But,
> today it's normally not a problem.
[...]
> But, this is usually a non-problem, even on machines like vax, taking
> up 20k (for 10 receive descriptors, or something) is practically free.
OK. I had no "feeling" what a reasonible amount of memory consumption in
this situation is. All I know is: Don't waste memory, especially inside
of the kernel.

Thanks to all who answered my newbie questions, this was a big help.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen