Subject: Re: TCPA Driver for NetBSD
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2003 09:28:43

On Dec 11, 2003, at 9:21 AM, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Mostly. That paragraph was before I read the spec.
> The question that remains though came up later in the note. :-) How do
> you
> make sure the PCI->LPC bridge chip has been configured before you try
> configure the things behind it?

Right now, we assume the BIOS has done it.  We have assumed this for
years.  A PCI->LPC bridge is just a fancy word for "southbridge that
doesn't have ISA slot support".  All those southbridge and PCI superio
chips are "PCI->LPC bridges".

> The LPC spec implies that devices on it should use ACPI for
> configuration,
> so the question may turn into how does ACPI tell us to configure the
> bridge, and how do we ensure that the LPC bridge is configured before
> the
> (ACPI) devices behind it try to probe?

I suggest you read the ACPI spec.  Keep it in your bathroom.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)